May 7, 2010
1. Three skills I learned in LALT 101 are:
a. how I can search about a specific topic in AUC Library website.
b. how I can search in different databases such as Academic Search Complete and JSTOR
c. different styles of citations, such as MLA one.
2. I hoped to spend more time about perodicals and scholarly journal journals, and how I can search about them in library.
3. I liked WordPress site because it was easy to use, and it was new for me.
4. There was no thing I didn’t like while blogging through WordPress.
May 4, 2010
1. Arpad Pusztai. “Genetically Modified Foods: Are They a Risk to Human/Animal Health?” An action bioscience organization, June 2001. web. 5 May 2010. <http://www.actionbioscience.org/biotech/pusztai.html>
2. Three reasons behing chossing this webpage:
A. This webpage was publishd by an organization, which gives more crediability in dealing with any issue.
B. Author of this page is Dr.Arpad Pusztai, who received his Ph.D. degree in Chemistry in Budapest, Hungary and his B.Sc. in Physiology and Ph.D. in Biochemistry at the University of London in England. Over his nearly 50-year career, he worked at universities and research institutes in Budapest; London; Chicago, U.S.; and Aberdeen, Scotland (Rowett Research Institute). He has published close to 300 primary peer-reviewed papers and wrote or edited 12 scientific books. That means he is a creidable person to write about this issue.
C. Objectivity in dealing with this issue. For instance, it was mentioned in the article that information is scarce about health hazards, such as toxicity in genetically modified (GM) crops.
April 18, 2010
1. My topic: Is there a health risk from genetically modified food?
2. Academic disciplines relate to my topic: chemistry, agriculture, engineering, and health sciences.
3. AUC majors and minors relate to my topic: Biology and Chemistry.
4. The major that most relates to my topic is Biology
Two specific databases that might help me research my topic are Environment Complete and Academic Source Complete
A. Devos, Yann, et al. “ETHICS IN THE SOCIETAL DEBATE ON GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS: A (RE)QUEST FOR SENSE AND SENSIBILITY.” Journal of Agricultural & Environmental Ethics 21.1 (2008): 29-61. Environment Complete. EBSCO. Web. 18 Apr. 2010.
B. Kimble-Evans, Amanda. “Genetically Modified Corn — Safe or Toxic?.” Mother Earth News 239 (2010): 16-17. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 18 Apr. 2010.
March 27, 2010
1. Horrocks, Joshua. “Genetically modified food: ‘Good’ for you bad for farmers.” Jacksonville Fresh Foods Examiner 18 March 2010. web. 21 March 2010.
2. “GM food raises health concerns.” BBC News 12 February 1999.web 27 March 2010.
3. “Caution on GM crops.” Chinadaily 4 March 2010.web. 27 March 2010.
March 14, 2010
1. “Arabic Hip Hop: Claims of Authenticity and Identity of a New Genre” is a scholarly journal because:
a. The title of publication refers to its genre, which is Journal of Popular Music Studies.
b. It starts from page nu. 360, which means that there were previous publications about the same topic.
c. It includes Work Cited page, which means it has a citation.
d. It includes notes in the end as references.
2. “The Sound of Love” is a popular magazine because:
a. It includes lots of color graphics.
b. It does not include citation.
c. It is very short and written in a simple language.
d. Its main purpose is to entertain the reader.
e. It does not have a specific format or structue.
March 7, 2010
A. My research question for this activity is:
Is there a health risk from genetically modifying foods?
B. There are 40 results were published in 2008
Example of MLA citation
Dona, Artemis, and Ioannis S. Arvanitoyannis. “Health Risks of Genetically Modified Foods.” Critical Reviews in Food Science & Nutrition 49.2 (2009): 164-175. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 12 Mar. 2010.
C. There are 200 magazine articles
Example of MLA citation:
“Attack of the really quite likeable tomatoes.” Economist 27 Feb. 2010: 16. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 12 Mar. 2010.
D. Jones, Lucy. “Clinton’s Last Push for Peace.” Washington Report on Middle East Affairs 20.2 (2001): 33. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 7 Mar. 2010.
February 28, 2010
1. My research question for this activity is:
?Is there a health risk from genetically modifying foods
2. My search statement is:
Genetically modified food And health
3. There are 484 results.
Here is the citation for one of the articles in APA style:
Dona, A., & Arvanitoyannis, I. (2009). Health Risks of Genetically Modified Foods. Critical Reviews in Food Science & Nutrition, 49(2), 164-175. doi:10.1080/10408390701855993.
4. There are 255 results from scholarly (peer-reviewed) journals.
Here is the citation for one of the articles in MLA style:
Ghisleri, Lucia Roda, et al. “Risk Analysis and GM Foods: Scientific Risk Assessment.” European Food & Feed Law Review 4.4 (2009): 235-250. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 28 Mar. 2010
February 21, 2010
1. My research question for this activity is:
What are the last effects of colonization on Egypt?
2. The most important two keywords in this research question are:
Colonization and Egypt
3. Synonyms or related terms that need to be considered are:
Colonization: expansion, settlement, and occupation
4. Narrowing the topic:
What are the economic effects of the British colonization on Upper Egypt?
Broadening the topic:
What are the effects of colonization on the third world countries?
5. Two possible search statements for this topic are:
Colonization And Egypt
(“Colonization” or occupation) And Egypt
February 14, 2010
Author’s name: Sassoon, Joseph.
The title of the book: The Iraqi refugees : the new crisis in the Middle East
The publisher: London ; New York : I.B. Tauris
Year of publication: 2009
The book’s call number: JV8751 .S37 2009
Author’s name: Talhami, Ghada Hashem
The title of the book: Palestinian refugees : pawns to political actors
The publisher: New York : Nova Science Publishers
Year of publication: 2003
The book’s call number: New York : Nova Science Publishers, c2003
Name of the film: Working with refugees
Call number: HV640.3 .W67 2002
February 7, 2010
Name: Amir Elshenawy
Major: Mass communication
Year at AUC: freshman
My favorite website: facebook